Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of School



Today was the first day of school, not for Will, but for me. I always dread this day, not because I don't want to go back to school, but because it is usually chaos. I am sure it is like this in most elementary schools, but parents are EVERYWHERE!! I work in a k-1 primary school so I'm sure that makes things worse. I am polite to the parents and have always done my best to be supportive, but I have always found it hilarious that the whole family has to come in to watch Johnny find his desk, his breakfast card, his crayon box...you get the point. They also have to film everything and take pictures of each and everything he does for the first 15 minutes of the school day.
In the past years I myself was not a mother and so I was looking at this situation from a non-parent viewpoint. Today, however, was different. Today, for the first time, I could sympathize with the parents. I felt for them and what they were having to do. I saw a mother taking pictures of her kindergarten baby outside his new classroom and I got emotional. I tried not to stare, but I couldn't help but watch. The little boy was so excited and you could tell he was proud of himself. The mother was proud as well, she hugged and kissed him and gave him a big smile, but you could tell she was hurting. Her baby is growing up. Before she knows it he will be graduating high school.
I say all of this because my own baby is growing up. In two short weeks he will be one year old. Which means in 4 short years I will be that mother taking pictures of my baby outside his kindergarten classroom. I do my best to thank God everyday for bringing him into our life...he is such a blessing and we only get to keep him for so long. But, I am just reminded to cherish and treasure every moment we get to spend with him now because we'll never get it back. (even when he wakes up screaming a couple times every night)

Of course I can't blog without adding some new pictures of Will. Here they are!
Will learning to sip through a straw.
Four generations of Fessler men.
Will with his cell phone. He talks on this all the time. He knows what to do. Its pretty funny!
Will and I at Monkey Joe's, an indoor inflatable place. I don't know who had more fun...me or him!
Will climbing the inflatable wall.

1 comment:

Cynthia and Bryan said...

Hey- I am glad to see that you blog. Keeping up with friends is so much easier with blogging than with facebook. Ya summer time pregnancy has not suited me well. I get gigantor pregnant anyway, but the swelling this time around seems so much worse because of the heat. Congrats on your sweet baby boy. Looks like you guys are enjoying parenthood :) Im gonna add your link too, I look forward to keeping up with ya. take care.