Thursday, May 24, 2012

25 rules for Mothers with Sons

     As a mother and wife I always feel torn between playing with my boys and doing all the things that need to be done around the house. Somebody has to do the laundry, cook dinner and clean the bathrooms, even though reading a book with 2 sweet little boys sounds so much more fun.

     Today, though, I read something that made me stop in my tracks. I was on pintrest and ran across a blog post called "25 rules for Mothers with Sons". As I read it it made me realize things that my boys would love to do, yet I am too busy doing other things. At one point, it even made me cry. Maybe it was the fact that I, just today, signed Will up for 4 year old pre-k. Maybe it is hitting me that these two are really growing up way too fast. I don't know, but it definitely struck a nerve.

      So, today I played with my boys. I went outside with Will and just followed him around as he showed me things (one of the rules). I build a fort with them (another of the rules) and we read books inside (yet another rule). Their little faces had an excited look that told me we should do it more often. Mike even told me that he could tell we were doing something fun and different when he walked through the door this evening.

      Please, don't get me wrong. I play with my kids and spend time with them everyday, and most days I do many of the things on the list. But, it reminded me that I still want a better balance. I want to enjoy every last minute with my boys, even if that means that laundry does not get done or the floors are not vacuumed. Because in 25 years, my little ones will be grown and my house will be clean and I will be wishing to be right back where I am now.

Curious about the rest of the rules? Please go here to read the complete list: http://studerteam.blogspot.com/2011/11/25-rules-for-mothers-of-sons.html?m=1

No comments: