Its a yucky word, one that has given Mike and I a little trouble sleeping at night. Do you vaccinate and on what schedule seems to be a very talked about topic among parents nowadays, which now includes us. We asked several of our friends and family members for their advice and personal stories. We also did research on the Internet and bought a book by Dr. Sears called "The Vaccine Book". I talked to Will's doctor at his 2 month check-up, but unfortunately he only recommended that I follow the American Academy of Pediatrics schedule which includes four shots at two, four and six months. For whatever reason, this did not sit right with us. We had a strange feeling about him getting so many vaccines at one time (the four shots include eight different vaccines). Yesterday we took Will and only had two shots. He got the Pediarix, which includes DTap, Hep B and Polio, and Rota virus. He did very well, he didn't cry that much and was fine for the rest of the day. We kept him on Tylenol for the rest of the day and night and this morning he woke up cheerful and happy as ever. We will go back at the beginning of December for two more shots, one for PC and one for Hib. We will then start this schedule over again when he goes for his 4 month visit.
Thank you to those of you who helped us by giving us support and resources. We feel as though we have made a good decision for our son.

The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert Sears
It is a very informative book without the bias. As a doctor he simply states the facts about 12 different diseases and the vaccines that help prevent them. It is a very easy read, he breaks things down so that you can digest what you are reading. He also provides an alternative schedule for vaccinations.
2 comments:
That's great info Whit - thanks for sharing! Parker goes for his 2 month check up on Monday, and he's supposed to get his first round of shots. I'll definitely check that book out before then.
All the pics of Will are great. I can't wait for our boys to meet and play together!
Good for you guys for researching, praying and following what you felt like. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Sears--and of spreading out a vaccine schedule. I'm especially proud because a lot of times first time parents (myself included) don't always do all the research until after having a bad experience. Oh and the pics of you guys on Dez & Tandy's site are so sweet. I still have a couple of photographers to send your way from Abigail's party. miss you!
Post a Comment